Comelec sees more firms buying bid documents
Posted March 23, 2009on:
By Anna Valmero
First Posted 14:04:00 03/23/2009
Filed Under: Eleksyon 2010, Elections
MANILA, Philippines—More firms are expected to purchase bid documents for the P11.3-billion automated election project in 2010, a spokesperson from the poll body said Monday.
Commission on Elections spokesperson James Jimenez said Hart and ES/S from the United States, DRS of the United Kingdom, Bharat of India and Gilat Solutions of Israel are also expected to secure the bid documents, as the March 25 deadline nears for bidders.
These companies have expressed interest to join the bidding, Jimenez said.
“Based on the expertise and potential offerings of the last five firms on our list of potential bidders, I believe that there might be two more companies that will procure the bid documents on the last minute,” said Jimenez.
“It’s likely that they will purchase on the last minute because obviously they are undecided right now,” he added.
Last week, five companies bought bid documents for a non-refundable amount of P1 million.
The bid documents detail the specifications and requirements for the automated election system (AES) that would be implemented during the 2010 elections.
Among the companies that have bought bid documents include Smartmatic-Total Information Technology (TIM) consortium; Avante Philippines, a subsidiary of Avante International Technology Inc.; Syrex Corp./Scantron consortium and DVS Philippines-Samsung consortium; Sequoia-Universal Storefront Services consortium and Indra Systems, documents from the Special Bids and Awards Committee (SBAC) showed.
SBAC Chairman Ferdinand Rafanan said in a separate interview that the Comelec is now doing a background check on the prospective bidders after they secured the bid documents.
The Comelec has scheduled the pre-bid conference on March 27 and the opening of bids on April 27.