5 under observation for swine flu—DOH chief
Posted May 6, 2009on:
By Dona Pazzibugan, Anna Valmero
INQUIRER.net, Philippine Daily Inquirer
First Posted 12:46:00 05/06/2009
Filed Under: Swine Flu, Health
MANILA, Philippines – (UPDATE 2) Five people have been placed under observation from May 1 to 6 for possible swine flu, Health Secretary Francisco Duque said Wednesday.
Two of the five are Filipinos – one a 32-year-old male who came from Ireland, one of several countries infected by swine flue and another, a 29-year-old male who came from the US.
The two have been quarantined at the San Vicente Center in Cebu ad at the San Lazaro Hospital in Manila.
The other three are foreigners – one a 26-year-old female who came from the United Kingdom and has been confined in San Vicente; and the two, 12-year-old and nine-year-old boys who came from South Korea.
“We’ll know the results [of the tests] within 24 to 48 hours,” Duque announced in a news conference on Wednesday.
“There’s no reason to panic. What’s important is we understand what government is doing and the steps we are taking” to prevent an outbreak here, he said.
“We are still awaiting the results of the test but so far, the Philippines is still free from the virus,” Teodoro told reporters in Clark Field, Pampanga province.
Since May 1, the Department of Health (DoH) has had 10 cases under observation but five of them tested negative for the A H1N1 flu virus which according to the World Health Organization could cause a flu pandemic.
Duque said placing people under observation meant that they were suspected but not necessarily infected with the swine flu virus and would need to be quarantined for a period of time.
The DoH is planning to increase its Tamiflu stock pile from 700,000 capsules to one million over the next week, he said.
At present, the DoH, private drug companies, and the Government Service Insurance System (GSIS) have a combined total of 1.17 million capsules.
With a report from Jocelyn Uy, Philippine Daily Inquirer