Published works

7 in Metro quarantined, tested for H1N1

Posted on: May 26, 2009

7 in Metro quarantined, tested for H1N1
By Anna Valmero
INQUIRER.net
First Posted 16:40:00 05/26/2009

Filed Under: Swine Flu, Health, Diseases

MANILA, Philippines – Seven people in Metro Manila were placed under quarantine and tested for suspected Influenza A(H1N1) infection, Health Secretary Francisco Duque III said Tuesday.

The seven, who were confined at the Research Institute Tropical Medicine (RITM), include five Filipinos and two foreigners, who arrived in the country between May 10 and May 23, Duque said.

The Filipino patients include a 75-year-old woman and a 41-year-old man who came from the United States, a 30-year-old woman who arrived from China, a 30-year-old woman who came from Japan, and a 24-year-old man who arrived from Hong Kong, Duque said.

The foreigners include a nine-year-old boy who arrived from China and a 41-year-old woman who arrived from the United States, he said.

Duque said airport authorities would continue to screen arriving passengers with thermal scanners.

Testing centers for throat specimens of suspected A(H1N1) cases will also be set up in three provincial hospitals – the Baguio General Hospital in Baguio City, the Vicente Sotto Memorial Medical Center in Cebu City, and the Davao General Hospital, Duque said.

Previously, only the RITM in Taguig City was testing specimens from suspected A(H1N1) cases.

Since May 1, the DoH has monitored 120 suspected A(H1N1) cases, two of whom tested positive for the disease. Of the 120, 111 have been discharged from the hospital after test results cleared them of infection.

The two confirmed cases, a 10-year-old girl and a 50-year-old woman, no longer showed symptoms of the disease, even as they underwent a fresh round of tests, Duque said.

“Both cases are well and do not have any symptoms. They are still being monitored and will be discharged at the Research Institute for Tropical Medicine once their repeat tests becomes negative for A(H1N1),” he said.

Meanwhile, three of the 50 contacts of two Taiwanese nationals, who were found positive for A(H1N1) when they returned to their country after visiting the Philippines, tested negative for the disease, said Doctor Eric Tayag, chief of the National Epidemiology Center.

“If after 10 days, all other contacts did not show symptoms, they can be considered safe and non-infected,” Tayag said.

The World Health Organization reported a total of 12,515 A(H1N1) cases with 91 deaths in 46 countries.

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

Timeline

May 2009
M T W T F S S
« Apr   Jun »
 123
45678910
11121314151617
18192021222324
25262728293031

Pages

Anna Valmero Tweets

Error: Twitter did not respond. Please wait a few minutes and refresh this page.

Top Clicks

  • None
%d bloggers like this: