Published works

FAQs on overseas vote registration

Posted on: August 21, 2009

FAQs on overseas vote registration First Posted 18:41:00 08/20/2009 Filed Under: Overseas Absentee Voting

Editor’s note: This was compiled by Anna Valmero of

1. Who may register?
All citizens of the Philippines who intend to vote abroad, at least 18 years of age on the day of the elections and not otherwise disqualified by law may register as overseas absentee voter (OAV).

2. When can one register?
Applications for OAV registration shall be filed from February 1 to August 31, 2009.

3. What does application refer to?
There are six types of application:
* registration/certification as OAV and to vote in absentia;
* transfer of registration record;
* reinstatement in the national registry of OAV;
* correction of wrong entries/misspelled names/change of name and other entries;
* withdrawal of application for registration/certification pending approval; and
* reactivation of registration records for voters who failed to vote in two previous elections;

4. What about Filipinos returning from abroad and who intend to vote in the
country in 2010?
They should transfer their voter’s registration to their local Comelec office; they have until September 30 to do so.

5. What are the requirements for applying for OAV registration?
Every applicant should submit a valid Philippine passport to establish his identity. In the absence of a valid passport, a certification of the Department of Foreign Affairs that it has reviewed the appropriate documents submitted by the applicant and found them sufficient to warrant the issuance of a passport, or that the applicant is a holder of a valid passport but is unable to produce the same for a valid reason.

6. Are there special requirements for seafarers?
Yes, a photocopy of the Seaman’s Book or any other pertinent documents.

7. What are the additional requirements for dual citizens?
For a dual citizen, the original or certified true copy of the Order of Approval of his/her application to retain or reacquire his/her Filipino citizenship or Oath of Allegiance issued by the Post or the Bureau of Immigration.

8. Where can one register?
OFWs and Filipinos abroad can register at Philippine embassies, consulates, and other designated registration centers abroad. Departing overseas Filipino workers (OFWs) or those processing their papers can register in special voter’s registration centers at the Ninoy Aquino International Airport and Terminal 2 which is open from Mondays to Sundays, or at the Philippine Overseas Employment Agency in Ortigas and the Commission on Filipinos Overseas in Manila, both of which are open from Mondays to Fridays.


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s


August 2009
« Jul   Sep »


Anna Valmero Tweets

Error: Twitter did not respond. Please wait a few minutes and refresh this page.

Top Clicks

  • None
%d bloggers like this: