Measles outbreak kills 4 infants—DoH
Posted March 4, 2010on:
By Anna Valmero
First Posted 17:23:00 03/03/2010
Filed Under: Health, Diseases
MANILA, Philippines—Four children have died from measles as the Department of Health (DoH) reported a 189 percent increase in cases throughout the country.
National Epidemiology Center (NEC) director Dr. Eric Tayag said that the DoH recorded 954 measles between January 1 to February 20 from 330 cases reported during the same period last year.
Metro Manila has the most number of recorded cases at 431 from 74 during the same period last year, the NEC said in its disease surveillance report. The cases were reported in Manila, Alabang, Paranaque, Las Piñas and Navotas.
Other regions with high number of measles cases are Western Visayas, 104 cases; Calabarzon, 97; Central Luzon, 89 and Bicol, 65.
Over one-third of the infected people are aged between 1 to 4 years old, with close to 70 percent without immunization against measles, said Dr. Lyndon Lee Suy, infectious diseases program manager at the DoH.
“Vaccination is the only prevention against measles. But to prevent adverse effects, it is also advised that you have a healthy body for stronger resistance,” said Lee Suy.
To curb its spread, he said the DoH would conduct vaccination drive, giving children aged 12 months to 15 months a second shot of vaccine against measles, including German measles.