Published works

Comelec dashes Acosta’s presidential dream

Posted on: March 5, 2010

Comelec dashes Acosta’s presidential dream

By Anna Valmero
INQUIRER.net
First Posted 18:36:00 03/04/2010

Filed Under: Eleksyon 2010, Elections, Inquirer Politics, Politics

MANILA, Philippines—(UPDATE) The Commission on Elections (Comelec) on Thursday threw out the presidential bid of Vetallano Acosta for lack of qualifications, leaving only nine contenders in the May 10 race for the highest office of the land.

Comelec commissioner Nicodemo Ferrer said Acosta was disqualified “for lack of machinery to hold a nationwide campaign” and for not being a duly accepted nominee of the Marcos-led party Kilusang Bagong Lipunan (KBL), whose vice presidential bet is former TV host Jay Sonza.

“Acosta is disqualified (for the presidential race) on the basis that he cannot conduct a nationwide campaign because as it turns out, he is not from KBL as he earlier claimed,” Ferrer said.

Acosta has not appeared in any political debate and has not aired any political advertisement, said Ferrer.

“Jay Sonza, his supposed running-mate does not know him or campaign for him because they have never met. He is also absent during political debates because he said he does not want to have enemies and he would leave the campaigning to God,” Ferrer told INQUIRER.net.

Senator Benigno “Noynoy” Aquino, the presidential bet of Liberal Party, filed an appeal before the Comelec last month questioning Acosta’s qualifications as a presidential candidate.

Since the resolution came after the Comelec has started printing the ballots for the May elections, Acosta’s name would still be on the ballot but the votes cast for him would not be counted, said Ferrer.

“You can vote for Acosta if you like but the votes cast for him would not be counted along with other party list groups that have been disqualified but whose names still appear on the ballots because we earlier ruled that names of candidates with pending appeals that are unresolved would be printed,” said the official.

Ferrer said the Comelec decision is final but Acosta could file an appeal before the Supreme Court.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

Timeline

March 2010
M T W T F S S
« Feb   Apr »
1234567
891011121314
15161718192021
22232425262728
293031  

Pages

Anna Valmero Tweets

Error: Twitter did not respond. Please wait a few minutes and refresh this page.

Top Clicks

  • None
%d bloggers like this: