Published works

Road accidents caused most injuries in last quarter of ’09—DoH

Posted on: April 3, 2010

Road accidents caused most injuries in last quarter of ’09—DoH

By Anna Valmero
First Posted 14:30:00 04/02/2010

Filed Under: Accidents (general), Road Accidents, Research

MANILA, Philippines—All roads must lead to safety.

This was the concern aired by the Department of Health (DoH) after initial reports of the newly-installed National Electronic Injury Surveillance System (NEISS) revealed that road accidents (27.7 percent or 1,802 cases) topped the cause behind 6,503 reported injuries in 65 hospitals nationwide from August to December last year, said Health Secretary Esperanza Cabral.

NEISS is a web-based system that will electronically capture injury-related data from 65 participating government and private hospitals in the country.

“These kinds of accidents and injuries are preventable if we give road safety the attention it rightfully deserves. We urge the national government agencies and local government units to come together to address issues concerning road users, road infrastructure and motor vehicles for our roads to be made safer, said Cabral.

Of the total 6,503 reported accidents nationwide, most occurred on the road (41.1 percent), 16.7 percent at home, and 33.8 percent in unspecified places.

Injuries from transport or vehicular accidents are mostly caused by collisions – those riding motorcycles, tricycles and bicycles and even pedestrians – with most incidents happening in December, from 8 a.m. to 7:59 p.m.

NEISS also revealed that 71.3 percent of those injured were males and the rest females, with 99.5 percent of the victims being Filipinos while the remaining 0.5 percent, foreigners.

Moreover, 60 percent of the cases involved victims in the 15-44 year-old bracket, followed by children below five (7.3 percent) and elderly (2.8 percent).

To avoid accidents, Cabral has this to say: drive within speed limits, avoid driving under the influence of alcohol or while using a cellphone, use seat belts and child restraints inside vehicles, wear helmets for motorcycle riders and obey traffic rules at all times.


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s


April 2010
« Mar    


Anna Valmero Tweets

Error: Twitter did not respond. Please wait a few minutes and refresh this page.

Top Clicks

  • None
%d bloggers like this: